http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Data_size.html

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,
i've got a little problem,
we're using mysql with two big tables (one has 90 Mio. Rows (60 Gb on HD), the other contains nearly 200.000.000 (130 Gb on HD).
Now we want to delete some rows from these tables to free diskspace. It seems that MySQL frees the harddisk-space which
was used by these rows only after optimization, which lasts very long on these tables. Both tables are "dynamic" in terms of row-format
what seems to extend the time needed for optimization. I tried to convert the smaller one to "fixed"-row-format, which increased the
disk-space of its data-file from 30 Gb to 60 Gb. This would not be the problem, but some SQLs which are run daily
on this table now run 4 times slower than with dynamic structure.

So, my questions are:
1) Did i something wrong while converting to fixed row-format ? (i found no indication)
2) Is the fixed structure really faster on optimization ?
3) Can anybody confirm the slow-down on big tables when converted from dynamic to fixed ?
(on small tables fixed were faster)

I'm running SuSE Linux, Kernel 2.4.20, the above behaviour could be reproduced with our productive server (MySQL 3.23) and
with a test server (MySQL 4.0.12).

thanks in advance,
alex

--