Alright, I am almost there, got one problem now.  There are multiple
entries for each id in table2.  I need only the records with the newest
timestamp for each id.  Want to do something like this, but doesn't
work:

INSERT INTO table_tmp (id,count_new,count_old,date) SELECT table1.id,
table1.count, table2.count, CURRENT_DATE() - 1 AS date FROM
table1,table2 WHERE table2.id=table1.id AND table1.count!='Nope' OR
'NULL' AND timestamp=MAX(table2.timestamp) GROUP BY table2.id;

This gives me:
ERROR 1111: Invalid use of group function

So I tried something like:

INSERT INTO table_tmp (id,count_new,count_old,date) SELECT table1.id,
table1.count, table2.count, CURRENT_DATE() - 1 AS date FROM
table1,table2 WHERE table2.id=table1.id AND table1.count!='Nope' OR
'NULL' GROUP BY table2.id HAVING MAX(timestamp);

Which will return 0 results every time.

Can't use 'ORDER BY desc limit 1' since that will only give me 1 entry.

Anything else I can try?  There has to be a way to get all the counts
from table2 which have the newest timestamp for each id in the table!

Please help!

Roy