Ashwin Kutty wrote:

I am trying to read a file and see if the contents of it exists in the DB
or not and am trying to do it via a Select.

I try to do a select * into outfile /tmp/result.txt from table where field
like "%$var%"; but it always goes through the first two lines of the input
file and then says the file already exists.

Is this because I read each line of a file in a for loop in perl and the
mysql query tries to recreate the outfile each time?

Yes

Is there any other
way I can dump the results of the select to a file of some sort?

Have the perl program append the /tmp/result.txt to /tmp/ultimateresult.txt , and unlink /tmp/result.txt
inside your loop.

Thanks..