I've been through the mysql doc for the C API in both mysql 4.0 and 4.1, but
I don't see anything that explicitly supports non-blocking and/or
cancel-able operations.  For example, the mysql_real_query API doesn't take
a timeout value and doesn't have any way to issue an asynchronous request.
The mysql_real_connect API doesn't support anything to mark a connection as
non-blocking.  There's no API to obtain the underlying socket descriptor to
manipulate this.

Is this something that anyone else has an interest in?  I know that this can
be achieved (although somewhat brutally) using threads and killing threads,
but this concerns me as it may cause corruption issues with lost
connections/open tables - it seems to me that this support should be native
to the software.

Thx for any feedback/ideas.

-R