At 15:02 +0530 7/19/03, Neeraj Vasudeva wrote:
Hello,

I remember in WIN NT 4 if we type cmd at the run prompt, then command prompt use to come up
and we can repeat the commands i.e. doskey feature is available.

so now i have installed mysql database
server version : 3.23.55
on win 98 and when i use command prompt and go to mysql prompt , i am not able
to repeat the last query statement written on the mysql prompt, is there any way through which
i could use this doskey sort of feature at mysql, so that i don't have to re-write the whole
sql statement at mysql prompt.

My understanding of the matter is this:

On Unix, line-editing capabilities are provided using the readline
library. This library isn't built in to the Windows binaries, so
the capabilities you see are those provided by the version of Windows
that you're using.  On NT-based systems, you get line recall, so that
you can scroll up and down through your statement history, but not
editing commands such as control-R to search through the history.
On non-NT systems, you don't even get that.

One way to circumvent these limitations is to use mysqlc rather than
mysql.  mysqlc is built with the Cygwin libraries and supports readline,
so you get full line-editing capabilities on any version of Windows.
Unfortunately, mysqlc was compiled a long time ago and doesn't understand
any of the newer internal mysql commands such as "source".

Regards

Neeraj Vasudeva

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer