Matthew,

> Hi, I'm clear as to what is meant by "The mysql client" in the MySQL core
> certification revision check list. I understand that the mysql database
> itself is the "server". Would client then be any program that talks to the
> server? Perhaps it is referring to mysql, the command line tool?

Client programs are indeed programs that talk with the server. The
server, however, is not "the database", but rather the program that
manages databases (allow/deny access to databases and their tables,
modify tables structures, change contained data, etc.).

MySQL provides a number of client programs for various purposes, like
controlling the server, backing up databases, etc. One of those
programs is "mysql", which is a command line interface (CLI).

The names of programs in a MySQL binary distribution can be somewhat
confusing: mysqld is the server, while mysql is the (main) CLI client.

> I understand "client side programs", examples being: mysqladmin, mysqldump,
> and mysqlimport. These are known as "mysql client commands" also?

Those are client (side) programs, not "client commands". You use those
programs to issue (client) commands that are sent to the server.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>