At 01:12 AM 7/20/2003, you wrote:
my table is small but I can't tell what is faster.. a max or a limit

mysql> select max(counter) from web;
mysql> select counter from web order by counter desc;

They seem to be the same in performance.

Regards, Jake Johnson [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jake,
I tried them both on a million row table and they are the same speed (you should use the "LIMIT 1" if using the "order by counter desc" because you only need 1 row returned.) Same speed also for InnoDb tables.

Mike

Plutoid - http://www.plutoid.com - Shop Plutoid for the best prices on
Rims, Car Audio, and Performance Parts.