   Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:30:03 +0300
   From: Doruk Fisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    I am compiling MySQL 4.0.14 with GCC 3.2.3, Glibc 2.3.1 and Linux 2.4.21
   on a x86.

    CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon -O2
   -felide-constructors" ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/mysql
   --with-charset=latin5 --without-docs --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
   --disable-shared --with-client-ldflags=-all-static --without-innodb

I had a somewhat similar experience, but with version 3.23.57.  I used
my normal configure options (from gcc 2.95.3) and my perlAPI scripts
all had serious difficulties.  I retried without specifying any
options to configure, and everything is fine [so far].  I noticed that
the 'build from source' help only refers to gcc 2.95.3 for x86.

I'd suggest you try with just "--prefix=/usr/local/mysql" [I built a
third time with that] and then add in options & rebuild to see which
option is causing the problem.  If you install as non-root, then you
need to become root to run 'ldconfig' [after modifying /etc/ld.so.conf
to include /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql] after installing.  If I was to
hazard a guess, I'd say

-felide-constructors

might be the culprit.