Joe,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Shear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 10:40 PM
Subject: RE: mysql stops processing

> hi,
>
> We're pretty careful about preventing that.  Also, no queries are moving
> forward, no inserts, updates, or selects, even the ones on tables that
> are only a mixture of inserts and selects.

what do SHOW PROCESSLIST and SHOW INNODB STATUS print in this situation?

Or is it so that you cannot run them because of maxed out connections? You
could write script to run them every 5 seconds so that we could see what is
happening.

Also, if you do

CREATE TABLE innodb_monitor(a INT) TYPE=InnoDB;

then mysqld will print the output of SHOW INNODB STATUS to the .err file
every 15 seconds.

What is the CPU usage from 'top' during the hang?

4.0.14 has better diagnostics than 3.23.56. An upgrade might help, but let
us wait a couple of days first.

> joe

Regards,

Heikki

> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:02, Andrew Braithwaite wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know what type of applications are using your database but if I
had
> > to guess at the problem, I would guess that you have a very slow query
which
> > runs every now and again that is locking up certain tables/records
causing
> > all the other queries to queue up and eventually running out of
connections
> > on the DB.  To find out if this is the case, when your server gets into
this
> > state run a "mysqladmin -v pro" and see if all the queries are waiting
for a
> > lock to be freed up.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Andrew