Shahid M. Syed wrote:

At 8:45 +0500 7/23/03, Shahid M. Syed wrote:

Hello

Does any version (production or future) of mysql supports Bookmarks?

What is "Bookmark" capability in a database context?

You can use the Bookmark property to set a bookmark (Bookmark: A property of a Recordset object or a form that contains a binary string identifying the current record.) that uniquely identifies a particular record in the form's underlying table, query, or SQL statement. Read/write Variant.

Example:
In VB6, I can read a bookmark in a variant like
varBookmark = rsName.Bookmark
Where varBookmark is a variant and rsName is a adodb recordset.

Later I can go back to the same record by
rsName.Bookmark = varBookmark

That's a feature of your recordset object, not of the database server.
Exactly how your recordset object ( DAO, I assume ) interacts with the database server to achieve this functionality is anyone's guess, but you'd think it would use a primary key.

As for how to do it better - why not just store the Primary Key somewhere and use that to return to your record later?
Also, if you're after speed ( and want to stick with VB ) I'd use ADO. DAO does some stooopid things that result in pretty horrible performance. Also DAO is being dropped in favour of ADO by M$ soon, so you might as well bail out now :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer