From: Jennifer Goodie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 6:33 PM
To: Susan Ator; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Why is this query not working?

> I am running php 4.2.2 and mysql 3.23.54.

This is a PHP question, not mySQL.

> This is my query:
>
>       $sql = "SELECT MAX(esn) FROM address";  // line 37
>       $max_esn_result = mysql_query($sql) or print mysql_error();  // line
> 38
>       $max_esn = mysql_result($max_esn_result,$i,"esn");  // line 39

What is the value of $i?  Are you sure you want to jump to row $i of your
result set?

> This is the error I get:
>
>       esn not found in MySQL result index 5 in
> /var/www/html/address_entry.php on line 39

I think since you are selecting MAX(esn) is doesn't get returned as esn, it
gets returned as MAX(esn), I could be wrong.  A simple fix would be to get
rid of the third argument you are passing to mysql_result since your query
is only returning one field you do not need an offset or name.  Or you can
change the query to  "SELECT MAX(esn) as max_esn FROM address"; and then use
max_esn as your offset/fieldname.