If I run the script:

-snip-
datadir="/var/lib/mysql/telaurus/"
find $datadir -name "*.MYI" -print | xargs myisamchk -r --silent --fast
-snip-

With the -r option on a live running db while connections are being
made, could there be any consequences?  Our production db is a bear to
bring down because we need to stop all the different systems that us it
first and this interups our customer's services.

Also we'll be upgrading shortly (I hope) to ver 4.x, does the new
version have any better way's of accomplishing checks/repairs on db that
is up 24/7/365?

Thanks,

Jeff McKeon