Also keep in mind.. even if for example PHP was faster with certain
functions.. Take that time + the time to pull the data from mysql and set
it up for manipulation via PHP could be more than asking mysql to do all
the work and just return a small resultset..

Just use a simple timer class to write 2 different scripts and time them..