I'm trying to write a select query that involves 2 tables.  One table
(Submissions) has a one to many relationship with the other table
(Jobs).  I'm trying to find all the records in Jobs that do NOT have a
corresponding record in Submissions with a status of 1.

The problem I'm having is that when there is more than one record in
Submissions that match a record in Jobs and one Submissions record has a
status of 1 and one record doesn't, my query matches the one with status
!= 1 and returns the record for Jobs (even though it has a record in
Submissions with a status of 1 also).

I've tried a variety of queries including left outer joins and more
simple join relationships.  I'm using MySQL 3.23.47 on Windows.

Here's an example query:

select j.job_id from jobs j left outer join submissions s on (j.job_id =
s.job_id) where s.status_id != 1 group by j.job_id

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich