"> I thought the recommended way was using CHECK/ REPAIR TABLE from
> inside mysql for the supported backends? Also, (my)isamchk can't be
> run while the database is running, can it? (I might be confused here)"

I'm just reading from the manual... it's not totally clear... perhaps
someone else will help out.

4.4.4 CHECK TABLE Syntax

CHECK TABLE works only on MyISAM and InnoDB tables. On MyISAM tables, it's
the same thing as running myisamchk --medium-check table_name on the table.

4.4.6 Using myisamchk for Table Maintenance and Crash Recovery

Starting with MySQL Version 3.23.13, you can check MyISAM tables with the
CHECK TABLE command.

To check/repair MyISAM tables (`.MYI' and `.MYD') you should use the
myisamchk utility.
If you mysqld is running, you must force a sync/close of all tables with
FLUSH TABLES and ensure that no one is using the tables while you are
running myisamchk. In MySQL Version 3.23 the easiest way to avoid this
problem is to use CHECK TABLE instead of myisamchk to check tables.