From: James Walters [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 9:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Basic Database Design Question

Hello,

DB novice checking in here with a basic design
question.  I have a table called 'nms_apps' which
stores information about all of our applications which
we have developed/maintained for our client.  One
column which I would like to use is called 'used_by',
which would store information about which business
sections (Financial Management Branch, Human Resources
Branch, etc.) use a particular application.  Often
times more than one section use a particular
application.  My question is this:

How do you handle multiple entries in one column?  Is
it acceptable to more than one value in a column for
one row?  If not, what is the best way to design that
in the table?  Have multiple 'used_by' columns?
'used_by_1', 'used_by_2', 'used_by_3', etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Testudo