Unfortunately this is not the case.

Any other ideas?

Kim

If all these fields are defined as not NULL, simply
use alter table with the ignore option to add a unique key on all pertainant fields.

Kim Mackey wrote:

Group,

I have been working on a project for a while now trying to figure out how to remove duplicate records from a single table using a query. To complicate matters, what constitutes a duplicate record is a match on several fields, but not all fields. I have been successful in matching all duplicates based on the fields I'm interested in, but this only returns the duplicate records. I want a query that will return all records from the table, but only once if certain fields are the same.

The table structure is basically:
User Code
Date
Last Name
First Name
Address
City
State
ZIP
and then  some other fields

I don't want to use the values in the other fields to determine if the record duplicates another. I'm not concerned about which one of the duplicate records I keep because I will make a backup copy of this table before removing the duplicates, so I will still have all the data from the records deleted. Later I will redesign the tables for this database and link back in the data from the other fields.

So I need a method that will output one and only one record from the table in which the data in the above mentioned fields are the same. Again, even if the data in the remaining fields are different I just want one of the records, and I don't care which one.

Thanks for your help
Kim Mackey