I am running mysql 4.0.13 on Apache 2.0.47 and PHP 4.3.2. I can log onto
my Mysql and I can show databases, and create users and passwords.  OS
is Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

In trying to backup my database, I used the MySQL Second edition syntax
and also used something somebody suggested in a previous email,
unfortunately I got error code 1064 in both cases.

I tried the following: Name of database in this case is candleplace and
I got this syntax from MYSQL 2nd Edition.

mysql> mysqldump --opt candleplace > /archive/mysql/candleplace.073103

What I got was:

ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near 'mysqldump --opt candleplace > /archive/mysql/candleplace.073103'
at line 1

I also tried backing up the following way after creating dbase directory
in my D drive:

mysql> mysqldump -u ola -p --opt --database --complte-insert
--flush-logs > d:/dbase/candleplace.2003-7-31

Each time I tried any of the commands to run mysqldump, I never included
the ; and I end up getting the -> and when I put in the ; then I get the
error message.

I have tried using mysqlhotcopy and I still got the same result.

Is there something that I am doing wrong please point me in the right
direction.

Thank you all very much

Ola A. Ogunneye
Senior Accountant

Adventist Healthcare - Financial Services
1801 Research Boulevard, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20850
Tel:  301.315.3274
Fax: 301.315.3265