I installed MySQL 4.0.4-beta from a cdrom that came with the book "Teach yourself PHP,
MySQL and Apache"  (a SAMs publication) on a linux 7.2 OS.  I installed the binary
distribution and attempted to follow the directions from the included manual.

When I execute the command:
.bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
I see displayed:
starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
mysqld ended

then I hit a carriage return and see
[1]+ done    bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql

And I grep for the process mysql using ps -ef and it is not there.

I found a file called $hostname.err and it said "Can't find messagefile
'mysql-4.0.4-beta-pc-linux-gnu-i686/share/mysql/englishy/errmsg.sys'".  Does this mean
I don't have some environment variables set up correctly?  So how do I start debugging
this problem?

thanks
Joel