I have been using MySQL for awhile, and for the first time someone from outside our portable /16 needs access to some tables. We have given them the server IP address, the dB name, the port 3306, the root username, and the password, but they still can't get access. Of course, no firewalls or other things in the way.

Is it true that MySQL defaults to local access only, and to enable remote access you must do something unusual with grants? If so, how would I do this? (warning, we use the win version, but this question is not a windows-only thing so it is topical for this list:-)

Thanks in advance for reading a post like this with such a dumb question!

Mary Grace