Mattias,
It may not be such a good idea to store the 6 items in 1 record. An
alternative structure is one table with Item ID and Name and another
with Item Id and Component Id, both of which point back to item id in
the first table. This avoids having to know how many components there
are and allows you to add a seventh component without changing the data
structure. See Jim Smith's excellent answer to a previous, similar
question (I've added it below).

If you want to fix what you've got then an OUTER join will help (see
docs) but sure as eggs is eggs someone will add a seventh component and
then you will have to fix every table and query and program, so if
you're still in design phase - then IMHO it's time to rethink the
structure.

Best regards,
Andy

<jim smith>
This is a classic problem known as a Bill of Materials explosion and
unfortunately relational databases don't handle it very well.

Storage is easy(ish).

Fundamentally you have a recursive many to many relationship between
components, resolved as

Component:              Component_Link
 id  <-----------|---assembly_id
 name            |---subcomponent_id

That is 2 foreign keys back to the same master table, if the diagram
isn't
clear.

In OO terms, both item and kit are subclasses of component. There are
may
ways to implement that
in a relation database, but the simplest is to store them as a single
table
with a type field.

Retrieval is harder.

To get the contents of an assembly (kit),
select *
from component as assembly, component as subcomponent, component_link
where assembly.name=?
and component_link.assembly_id=assembly_id
and subcomponent.id= componentLink.subcomponent_id

BUT, this only goes down to one level which may be enough for most
purposes,
but for stock monitoring (e.g. I've sold 10 of kit ZZA102, what effect
does
that have
on my item stocks), you need to do it recursively.

With mysql ( and most other DBMS) the only alternative is to do the
recursion in a program -
ie
  get all first level children
        foreach get next level
                foreach get next level
                        etc

Oracle has an excellent CONNECT BY extension to standard sql which does
this
brilliantly, and I believe mysql AB are
planning to imlpement it sometime.
</jim smith>