See the command LOAD DATA FROM MASTER (
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/LOAD_DATA_FROM_MASTER.html ). This should do
what you want - it does it for me.
As I understand it, this puts a read lock on each table as it copies it.
This provides some interruption to service, but nothing like a stop/start.

|         |           Bogdan TARU      |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |
|         |           05/08/2003 13:07 |

  |       To:       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                      |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:  replication w/o stopping the master

             Hi guys & gals,

 Tried to get an answer through the manual, but couldn't find one. So, is
there a way to do replication w/o stopping the master. The only way I
found up until now was to stop the master (in order to insure there are no
changes to the database), copy the database directory, start the master
again with logging enabled (and delete the old logging files, if any), and
copy the database directory on the slave.

 Of course, stopping the master isn't that much fun, esspecially when the
databases are large and copying them takes some time. Is there a way to
avoid it? I'm using 4.0.13.

 Thanks,
 bogdan