> but the different lanaguage setting in MySQL seem to
> mainly apply to its error messages

Collation and sorting, too.

> To my knowledge, MySQL does not yet
> offer full UTF-8 support

True, but UTF-8 is Unicode, and it sounds like the OP wants to work with
BIG-5, a two-byte Chinese national encoding.

> store the special characters
> using the \uXXXX notation or something similar.

Depends on the application language, not on MySQL. MySQL either takes it
as text or as a BLOB (well, essentially that's what it does).

(I still have trouble imagining how the westerners keep thinking that
\uXXXX is a solution for the CJK languages, but that's off-topic.)

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan