You have not shown us anything that would indicate that your output is not correct.
If you think something is missing you have to show us what is missing, and why you think
it should not be.

John Wards wrote:

I have this query:

SELECT *
FROM news_category
LEFT JOIN news_x_cat ON news_category.id = news_x_cat.cat_id
WHERE (
news_x_cat.news_id = 9 OR news_x_cat.news_id IS NULL
)

Which gives me this output:

id title perm show news_id cat_id
1 About Us 1 1 NULL NULL 2 Learn About Your Hair 1 1 NULL NULL 3 Press Room 0 0 9 3 4 Research News 0 0 9 4

Its Padding out with NULLs fine for the first 2 but missing out a few other records from news_category.

What I want the query to do is display all the news_categorys if they are mentioned in news_x_cat or not and if they don't have any data with in news_x_cat I need this bit padded out with NULLs.

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Cheers
John Wards