On 7 Aug 2003 at 9:47, woody at nfri dot com wrote:

> While I don't know for sure, my guess is that it would have something
> to do with 32 bit as the magic number, but also...being that this
> won't become a problem until
>
> mysql> select from_unixtime(2147483647);
> +---------------------------+
> | from_unixtime(2147483647) |
> +---------------------------+
> | 2038-01-18 21:14:07       |

It doesn't become a problem until you want to start *using* dates
later than that.  Depending on your application, that may happen
considerably before 2038.  For instance, if you need to store
retirement dates, a Unix timestamp would be a bad choice even today.
Of course you wouldn't need a time for a retirement date, and
wouldn't be concerned about time zone or summer adjustments, so a
DATE column would be fine, but people do use Unix timestamps for
future times as well as past ones.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tobacco Documents Online