I am going to have to put MySQL on it's own box, and I am wondering what makes
the biggest difference with hardware.

I am hoping to set max_connections to 1000 at least (and I will probably use
at least 500 several times a day).

There are a few tables that are almost constantly running inserts, updates,
and selects (they are InnoDB).  These tables have millions of records.

There are many other tables that are used less frequently.

I mostly need the inserts, selects, and updates to be FAST with a high
concurrency.

Will I see the biggest difference by:
1) maxing out the ram
2) faster processors
3) faster drives
4) more drives
5) more processors

Also, I am curious if RAID or replication would be faster in my situation.

Thanks,
-Jackson