Jatin,

> I am running mysql 4 on linux server. I want to have a remote access
> on it. what are the setting that i need to do this.

You need to log into your MySQL server and grant access to your
databases from wherever you want to grant access, like:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'remoteuser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'seCr3t';

That would allow access from anywhere ('%'), and allow to do anything
(ALL) on all databases and their contained tables (*.*) for a user
'remoteuser' that must give 'seCr3t' as a password when logging in.
This can, of course, be much more fine-tuned; see
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/User_Account_Management.html for details.

'remoteuser' can now connect to the server like this:

shell> mysql --host=mysqlhost --user=remoteuser -p

Where 'mysqlhost' is the name of the machine mysqld (the server) is
running. If the server is listening on a port other than 3306, you
must also specify --port=<portnumber>.

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>