Hi,

I'm doing some web development and have mysql (3.23.x) installed
to test with (win2k, but I don't think this question is particularly
platform specific).

I have a reasonably complex query which I am trying to optimise.
When I first startup mysql, and perform the query, it can take
10 or so seconds. However, further subsequent queries (sorting
by the same column) return in a fraction of a second. This is true
even with new WHERE or LIMIT clauses.

Is mysql creating a 'temporary' index and caching it? Is the original
10 second query the actual time for my query to execute? I'm finding
it difficuly to optimise my query as I'm not sure exactly which times
are correct.

Hope I've explained this OK - sure I'm missing fundamental, so
apologies in advance.

Regards,
Russ