Is there any way of determining the existence of an index?

I have a colleague messing about porting an application from MS SQLServer to MySQL 5 (compiled from the source).
This application uses (whether it be good or bad) stored procedures heavily.

We just wanted to check to see if an index existed as part of a stored procedure.
The only way I can see to do it is to use "show index from table", but that gives all indexes and then parsing the results.

We are after a more efficient way (like the sqlserver query "select * from sysindexes where name=.....")

--

Many Regards,
Ian Collins