Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>> What happens to the thread if the value of time is greater than
>> interactive timeout or wait timeout ?
>
>The client will be disconnected and thread closed.

That's what I thought was supposed to happen, but we constantly wind up
with sleeping connections longer than these values:

+-------+-----------+------+----+---------+--------+-------+------+
| Id    | User      | Host | db | Command | Time   | State | Info |
+-------+-----------+------+----+---------+--------+-------+------+
|  1162 | carpenter | xxxx | a  | Sleep   | 40937  |       | NULL |
|  1818 | milberg   | xxxx | b  | Sleep   | 45634  |       | NULL |
| 10460 | kokaz     | xxxx | c  | Sleep   | 130282 |       | NULL |
+-------+-----------+------+----+---------+--------+-------+------+

+--------------------------+-------+
| Variable_name            | Value |
+--------------------------+-------+
| interactive_timeout      | 600   |
| wait_timeout             | 600   |

I think these are clients who have left either the mysql command line
client open on their machine or have remained logged in via phpmyadmin.

Eventually they go away, but that seems to be after they log out.

Shouldn't these connections be shut down, or is there some other variable
or option that I need to check.

Thanks,
Ware Adams