On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 09:46 PM, Andrew Rothwell wrote:

Hello List,
I have a movies database, that I had an autoincrementing field for
counting purposes.What I did though was remove some of the rows out of
the table, now my table is reporting an incorrect number of movies
listed.What I am trying to do is after is have done the following
command

[snip]

There is no 74 Is there a way to force the DB upon removal of a row (74)
to renumber the autoincremented fields?

Short answer, no.

I have tried to flush tables, but that did not work -

btw I am using the last stable 3 release - but I will be updating to the
latest stable 4 release in the next day or so. THank you
Andrew

Long answer: that defeats the purpose of an auto-increment.

The only good way to do this is to do it programatically, and even then (if there are multiple updates at a time) won't necessarily guarantee unique values (the point of the auto_increment field).

If all you need is the current number of movies, might I suggest:
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tablename;