I forwarded your mail to the mysql list so that everyone who cares knows what is going.

Bill Hernandez wrote:
The error log shows:

030810 14:52:48  mysqld started
030810 14:52:49  InnoDB: Started
030810 14:52:49  Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table
'mysql.host' doesn't exist
030810 14:52:49  Aborting

Ah that sounds familiar. :(

1) If you don't know what InnoDB is, comment all the lines out that have innodb options in your /etc/my.cnf

2) InnoDB provides transactions and referential integrity. Neat things that you probaply not know about, yet.

3) I bet the file /usr/local/mysql/data/mysql/mysql.host exists but InnoDB isn't allowed to "see" it by wrong directory/file permissions of your file system (not MySQL !)

I've bought several books on php/mysql and they all get right into the
programming aspects

Thats the point of PHP. They have to suppose you allready know to handle the DBMS.

www.php.net
www.devshed.net
www.php.net

Don't miss the PEAR extensions. -->  pear.php.net
Start with PHP's mysql standard functions to get a basic understanding.
When you think you got that move up to the PEAR-DB classes.
http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.database.php

 and what I probably need to look for is a book that
talks about the architecture.

well, not really.
Knowledge on dead trees is only good provided you have the time or motivation to actually read the book and of course some are crap anyway.
Then there are those which fill 1000 pages with more or less important stuff but your specific problem is no where to be found.
I hate it especially to read a chapter that stops right before the point where I need further info stating that from here it's too specific for this book. =8-O

I bought lots of books which I should have read completely but just couldn't get the hang of. Buy it, take it home, put it on shelf, feel good that now all problems can come ... not quite.

1) Look in the (searchable!) online docu. Some with readers's comments.
2) Look at google. Real issues tend show up elsewhere and probaply are solved and documented allready.
3) Ask on a list.
4) Books ? Usually decorative at best though there are good ones, too.

I can see that the first thing I really need to do, is get a good
understanding of is all the pieces that make mysql work, what they do, how &
when they get created. What tools to use, preferably GUI tools.

that can't hurt ;)

I like phpMyAdmin as maintenance client.
mysql and mysqladmin in texmode ain't that bad either when you know what's going on.

Then there is mysqlcc from mysql.com. GUI but I don't know if they build it for apples.

...and I have no clue why mysqld is unhappy about "Table 'mysql.host'
doesn't exist". Where in the install, etc, process was it supposed to get
created, and by which piece?

/usr/local/mysql/scripts/mysql_install_db

Your problem are the permissions not the lack of the file.

I think I need to take three steps back, and figure out where the beginning
is? Thanks for the help...

no problem ...

Andreas Germany