--- Begin Message ---
On 8/9/03 11:20 PM, "Andreas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas,

Thanks for the help...

The error log shows:

030810 14:52:48  mysqld started
030810 14:52:49  InnoDB: Started
030810 14:52:49  Fatal error: Can't open privilege tables: Table
'mysql.host' doesn't exist
030810 14:52:49  Aborting

030810 14:52:49  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
030810 14:52:51  InnoDB: Shutdown completed
030810 14:52:51  /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

030810 14:52:51  mysqld ended

I've bought several books on php/mysql and they all get right into the
programming aspects, and what I probably need to look for is a book that
talks about the architecture.

I can see that the first thing I really need to do, is get a good
understanding of is all the pieces that make mysql work, what they do, how &
when they get created. What tools to use, preferably GUI tools.

I followed the instructions on the install, and re-installed, the deleted
everything & installed again.

...and I have no clue why mysqld is unhappy about "Table 'mysql.host'
doesn't exist". Where in the install, etc, process was it supposed to get
created, and by which piece?

I think I need to take three steps back, and figure out where the beginning
is? Thanks for the help...

Bill Hernandez
Plano, Texas

BTW, your comment about mysqld  being a daemon, and mysql is the client
really helped, puts things in perspective. Sort of client -> server which I
can relate to...

--- End Message ---