Hi,
I'm running MySQL 3.23.55 on WinXP and
have some problem using non latin charset.
I've added these 2 lines under [mysqld] group
of my.ini:

character-sets-dir = c:/mysql/share/charsets/
default-character-set=cp1251

Then restarted server and created a simple database
with a string fields. 'myisamchk' utility shows that
tables in above db have cp1251 charset.
After I used some PHP page to insert a few records
with a russian cyrillic and english texts into the db table.
But SELECTing back them with a char case conversion
(UPPER(),LOWER(),UCASE(),LCASE()) failed.
All english texts were correctly converted, but russian
strings had only 3-4 char-s (from total 33 letters) converted
and other char-s had original case. I tried a simple select:

SELECT UPPER('...all russian/win1251 lower letters...');
or
SELECT LOWER('...all russian/win1251 upper letters...');

They returns almost same strings exept of 3-4 letters
correctly case converted. Other ones remain intact.
Also I have mixed russian and english letters like:

SELECT UPPER('... russian/win1251 lower letters plus some english
char-s...');

In result, the english char-s were converted correctly but russian had
same problem.

What did I do wrong in using non default charset?

Thanks,
Tumurbaatar S.
P.S. It seems that collating (ORDER BY) works well for cp1251
charset, i.e. char(0xA8) correctly placed after char(0xC5).
Only problem in case conversion.
Also I examined cp1251.conf file and did not find anything wrong.