Replicating queries where re-written to fix various bugs, most notably
time and auto-increment bugs. Why doesn't replication also enforce
rewriting INSERT INTO into INSERT DELAYED / etc. I've notice that the
replicating thread in 3.23.5x will wait for a table instead of going
onto another log event iff that table is being queried. I would think
adding DELAYED under the covers for replication would be a big win for
mysql, in keeping a slave consistent and up to date.

What would the drawback be? It's not waiting for an auto increment value
to be returned is there some other intrinsic problem?
This should be a win win for both 3.5x and 4.x