Eric wrote:
Hi,

Do you know of a database that can do such a thing?

sorry, no I don't.

MySQL is the only DBMS with replication I found, yet.

There is a replication project with PostgreSQL but it's not in the official distribution the last time I checked.

In the announcement of the cooperation of SAP DB with MySQL is replication one point which they explicitely mentioned.

I didn't closely look into the other big things like db2, oracle, firebird, adabas and what else there is.
Firebird is free too so probaply it could be a candidate.

AFAIK replication the way mysql does it is problematic anyway on slow or sporadic connections. I know that implementing replication is not trivial and mysql's way is often a good solution.

What about concurring updates ?

t0 : host A = host B but they are disconnected (road warrior)

t1 : A runs : UPDATE bla SET blub = 42 WHERE id = 4711;

t2 : B runs : UPDATE bla SET blub = blub + 1 WHERE id = 4711;

t3 : they connect and replicate in both directions

t4 : What is the result of : SELECT blub FROM bla WHERE id = 4711;

Are the results of both systems the same ?

On fast connections ring structured replication should limit the vulnerable timeframe down but what about our traveling dude who dials up every evening with his notebook.

Not to mention that a second site with a fast line would have to wait for our road warrior to get it's updates from the main site since the

... Andreas