Thanks. Actually, my ISP helped me out and got this fixed. Here's what they wrote in the support log:

Due to the method that the databases were copied over, I went into mysql used the grant option on all the databases to allow root access and ability to alter all the databases. Once this was done, I restarted mysql and I was able to run the example above.

I had already run the command:
grant all on tracerlock.test to bhaselto identified by "<password>"
and that didn't work when I did it, but I didn't restart mysql after running the command. Probably it was the restart of MySQL that made the difference.

By the way, if you're wondering what sort of ISP would have such good support that they would answer a question like this, it was RackSpace.com -- nothing but good things to say about their support process.

-Bennett