Hello

 I am no PHP expert but I find it quite easy to move from Perl to PHP.
 PHP too has a huge standard library with lots of useful functions and it
 has PEAR, something similar to CPAN.

 but when I develop MySQL appliction (mainly for myself at the moment) I
 use Python or Ruby. they are also easy to learn and are very clean
 languages. and Ruby is quite similar to Perl but fully OOP.
 and Ruby and Python also have great standard libraries. in Python there
 is for example urlib and urllib2 as a replacement for LWP. and Ruby also
 hat stuff for this in the standard library and the Ruby Application
 Archive.
 just my experiences.
 check out
 http://www.ruby-lang.org