Hi All,

I have a database with many files in it and our research tells us that
disabling the recording of atime (access time) for that DB may have
significant performance improvement.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone done this and if so, what results did they have?
2. Is the atime used in MySQL/MyISAM and will the disabling of atime cause
problems?

Thanks to all who reply.....

There is a snippet of that research below...

Cheers,

Andrew

Sql, query

----------------atime removal----------------------
In addition to the information about when files were created and last
modified,filesystem
also records when a file was last accessed. This information is not
particularly
useful, and there is a cost associated with recording it. The ext2
filesystem allows
the superuser to mark individual files such that their last access time is
not
recorded. This may lead to significant performance improvements when running
find,
and may also be useful on often accessed frequently changing files such as
the
contents of /var/spool/news.
To set the attribute, use

chattr +A filename

For a whole directory tree, do something like:

chattr -R +A /var/spool

Additionally, entire partitions can be mounted with no access time updating,
again, news
spools are a prime example. The man page for mount lists the following
option:

noatime
Do not update inode access times on this
file system (e.g., for faster access on the
news spool to speed up news servers).
The syntax to do this automagically is to edit the /etc/fstab, adding in the
noatime
option to the options column, separated by a comma. e.g.:
# device mount point type options dump frequency fsck pass number
/dev/sdb1 /var/spool/news ext2 defaults,noatime 1 2