I have about 20K records that result from the following query. Front end for the
database is ACCESS97 and pulling up 20K records makes a huge performance hit.
For the form in question I am using PASSTHROUGH type query (the one that just
passes everything straight to server without ODBC).
NOTE: souce_for_inquiries_form is the TEMP table and is searchable in the from
(it feeds a pull-down list).

SELECT inquiries.inquiry_id, inquiries.contact_id, inquiries.indiv_contact_id,
inquiries.phone, inquiries.fax, inquiries.agent_id, inquiries.inquiry_date,
inquiries.event_type, inquiries.letter_type, inquiries.event_date,
inquiries.event_date_general, inquiries.event_location, inquiries.guests,
inquiries.hours, inquiries.budget, inquiries.event_description,
inquiries.talent_description, inquiries.past_use, inquiries.referred_by,
inquiries.date_sent, inquiries.end_user, inquiries.event_id, inquiries.notes,
source_for_inquiries_form.organization,
source_for_inquiries_form.mailing_address_1,
source_for_inquiries_form.mailing_address_2, source_for_inquiries_form.city,
source_for_inquiries_form.state, source_for_inquiries_form.zip,
source_for_inquiries_form.contact_type, individual_contacts.contact_name_first,
individual_contacts.contact_name_last, individual_contacts.contact_prefix,
individual_contacts.contact_title, individual_contacts.email
FROM inquiries
LEFT JOIN individual_contacts ON inquiries.indiv_contact_id =
individual_contacts.indiv_contact_id
INNER JOIN contacts AS source_for_inquiries_form ON inquiries.contact_id =
source_for_inquiries_form.contact_id
ORDER BY  inquiries.inquiry_id DESC;

I want to hear all the suggestions. Tired of ACCESS97 front end, but at the same
time so many of the forms have VB code in it and have sub-forms, that so far no
one gave me any good ideas how to move the front end into PHP or something else,
or combination of something. I run Linux for my servers and I don't plan to use
Win product anymore (whatever licenses we have, we will just live with them as
long as we can and then Linux here we come for desktops).

Apolinaras "Apollo" Sinkevicius
Carmel Music & Entertainment, LLC
 web-site:  http://carmelme.com
Having an event in Chicago, or would you like to bring Chicago entertainment
to your event? Give Carmel Music & Entertainment a call for the finest
entertainment available in Chicago.