On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:51:17PM -0700, Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> Jeremy Zawodny writes:
>
> > Perhaps you could tell us more about the queries that take
> > too long. Maybe there are some things you can do to reduce that time?
>
> You don't want to go there.
>
> But because you do... :-)

Uh oh.

[snip]

> Personally, I think a lot of the problem is that it takes 18 seconds
> just to run the query optimizer pass on this (Apple OS X server, 2 x
> 1.3GHz G4).

Yes, you've run into one of the query optimizer's dirty little
secrets.  It's not too bright at trying to optimzie big joins. :-(

But you seem to be using STRAIGHT JOINs a lot, so that *should* cut
down on the effort needed.  But maybe it's a bit dumber than I
thought.

You might file this as a bug report.  It couldn't hurt, I guess.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 17 days, processed 881,217,254 queries (585/sec. avg)