Hi,

   I've been trying to solve this problem for a long time. Only thing
I did when upgrading from 3.25 to 4.0.14 I took the default my.cnf. I
did not convert the privilege tables with mysql_fix_privilege_tables.

Suddenly, the mysql started to show all databases to all users (even
though the user had access denied and could not do show tables on
them). So I started to find help and tried the
mysql_fix_privilege_tables. It didn't work properly (more than just
access denied and errors, that are ok) so I did the changes manually
conforming to source code of mysql_fix_privilege tables.

PhpMyAdmin stopped its warning about privilege tables not conforming
to current mysql version. Everything seemed ok except that SHOW
DATABASES still worked.

The users naturally all have Show_db_priv="N" in the tables. Also
trying "safe_show_database", "skip_show_database" in my.cnf and
"--skip-show-database" witch mysqld didn't help.

All *.frm files in mysql database have the same md5 as those generated
by scripts/mysql_install_db.

--
Thanks for help,
 Vladimir Trebicky                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]