Dan F wrote:

Thanks for your reply! Very helpful.

Presumably, I can read about SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = 0; and it will only apply as long as the file is running, or I can turn it back on at the end of the whole process.

Out of curiosity, are you saying mysqldump of a whole DB does some sort of global lock and/or reads state at a given point in time?

Whoops, answered my own question: another one of these threads talked about mysqldump --single-transaction, and presumably that would only work properly if the whole DB was dumped at once.

FYI, my current app is used to dump and restore a non-production instance into CVS for purposes of quickly recreating a development environment. Thus, per-table dumping is sufficient for my needs.

Thanks again.

Dan