What are you defining as a huge performance hit?

Is the result set 20K records, or the base tables? How big are the base
tables?

Are the client and server on the same machine? Pulling 20K records across
the network could take some time. Formatting 20K records into a pull -down
list in access will also take a long time. Anyway who reads a 20K list?

Which parts of the process are slow? How does the query perform from the
mysql command line?