Keep in mind that Linux will allocate nearly all of its free RAM to the
buffer cache as the kernel opens and reads files to increase filesystem
performance  (cat /proc/meminfo and look at the "buffers" row)  So, lack
of free RAM may not mean what you think it means.

As for the "too many connections" issues, take a look at the connections
table (mysqladmin proc, or show processlist from the mysql command
prompt).   You may need to raise the connection limit even further.

--Michael