> Here's the CREATEs, somewhat edited to remove parts not relevant
> to this discussion, to save space:

I never actually looked at your JOIN statement more than a quick
glimpse, but I will (though not just right now). Before I do, can you
try this (I still don't have data or I'd play with it myself:

 mysql> EXPLAIN SELECT cg.cw FROM cg USE INDEX(q_id_2),q,cit,sref
     -> WHERE cg.q_id = q.id AND q.cit_id = cit.id AND cit.sref_id =
sref.id
     -> AND cg.cw LIKE 't%'
     -> AND sref.cd > DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 MONTH)
     -> ORDER BY cg.cw
     -> LIMIT 1000,10;

I wanted it to use that new index, and it chose not to, so we can show
it the way. (You can also try FORCE INDEX instead of USE INDEX).

In the meantime, I'll actually read over your table descriptions and the
JOIN.

--steve-