G'day Bob

>> I'm a novice Unix user, and I can't get MySQL set up properly on my
>> Mac. It seems to have installed OK, but when I try to run the
>> mysql_install_ db script, I get errors. I can't set the root password
>> either that the documentation tells me to.
€€€€
There is an alternative installation you might want to consider. Go to
www.serverlogistics.com and download complete MySQL. Whilst there, also get
Complete Apache2 and Complete PHP:)

All these packages are 'double click' installers and the Apache and MySQL
come with preference panes for turning them on and off and basic
configuration. They also install in non-apple locations so they aren't
affected by system updates. Very clear documentation as well. I can't
recommend them highly enough.

I agree about CocoaMySQL - I too use it every day and it is very capable. It
can't do permissions from the GUI but if you're only doing minor
development/learning this won't affect you.

A small tip for a neat little word processor called (formerly) Hydra which
is native OSX, has PHP and HTML syntax highlighting and 'static' line
numbering for debugging. It can also be used collaboratively with Rendevous.
http://hydra.globalse.org/

You might also want to look at JaneBuilder www.seejanecode.com for a neat
app that writes pretty good PHP/MySQL with very little trouble.

cheers

kim