Robert Mark Bram wrote:

and Clients 3.23.55" and then in stall 4.1, how will my "MySQL ODBC 3.51
Driver" driver know to connect to 4.1 now? Is there anything else I need to do?

If you also dumped and removed the database files then you probaply have to reinstall the 3.23.xx or an 4.0.xx to create user accounts with the old less secure password storage format.

Then you can install the 4.1 and let it use the old data files.
Read the docu about upgrading to 4.1.

With a bit of brain work you should even be able to have both server versions running on your box to do some serious playing around.
(NOT ON THE SAME DATA DIRECTORY)

Daniel Kasak wrote:

From what I gather, you can't use MySQL-4.1 with MyODBC-3.51. You get an error message telling you that the authentication method requested by the server is not available, and to upgrade your client libraries (or something like that).

There is a parameter for mysql 4.1 that allows keeping the old password format for existing user accounts.

In /etc/my.cnf or c:\winnt\my.ini

[mysqld]
old-passwords = 1

This will be necessary for some time as long as you use mostly precompiled client apps on the server like PHP and what not...