I am coming across an annoying problem with a new InnoDB installation.
On a 4Gig RAM box, Mysql doesn't seem to want to grab the RAM I am
telling it to take.
I would like for it to try and use around 3 Gigs for its
innodb_buffer_pool_size, but it refuses to startup with anything greater
than 512M. I bugged RedHat about it, and they had me change the shared
memory allowance to 3Gigs, but nothing changed. I'd really like to get
the pool size up so that the server doesn't have to go to disk so often.
I will admit to being an InnoDB newbie, I am reading everything I can
find though and have used the example my.cnf files to tweak it pretty
decently. This memory issue is all that is really bugging me at the
moment.

System Specs:
RedHat Enterprise ES 2.1 2.4.9-e27smp
MySQL 4.0.14
Compaq/HP Proliant 300 Series
Xeon Dual 2.8Ghz Pent4
4Gigs RAM
2 72Gig Scsi 320 drives Raid 1+0

I can't think of anything else that would prove helpful, but feel free
to ask. Thanks in advance for any help.