Ahh, so Linux on 64-bit right now with INNODB is really not much different
than on 32-bit x86? XEON CPUs have AWE/PAE which lets them address a 36-bit
memory address space, getting past the 4GB addressable limit. 64-bit CPUs
obviously can address _much_ more memory in a single chunk. MySQL/INNODB
though is still going to be limited to that same 2GB buffer size? Is that
correct?

Hmmm... We've talked about sponsorship of Innobase to implement PAE on
XEON/x86 Linux but making it work on Opteron I think would be more
appropriate. Do you want to publicly talk about costs of that implementation
Heikki? How many folks here would want this and be willing to "pass the hat"
to make it happen?

A low-end 1U Opteron server including RAM and CPU are only marginally more
expensive than a (good) low-end similarly-equippped XEON server. In my
opinion there is no doubt that it will take off in a big way!

PS. RedHat kernels definitely support PAE and that's possibly via an
additional patch beyond the stock kernel? Not just in "Advanced Server"
either, this is with the "bigmem" kernel on a box (standard RedHat 7.3) with
5GB RAM for instance [too bad I can only allocate a bit under 2GB for the
INNODB buffer though :-) ]

 10:07pm  up 1 day,  1:07,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.08
CPU0 states:  0.3% user,  8.2% system,  0.0% nice, 90.4% idle
CPU1 states:  1.0% user,  0.1% system,  0.0% nice, 98.3% idle
Mem:  5318292K av, 4571076K used,  747216K free,       0K shrd,  261444K
buff
Swap: 2096220K av,  123060K used, 1973160K free                 3284376K
cached

Kernel 2.6.0 definitely makes mention of PAE and support for large amounts
of memory.